Hyaluronate, commonly labeled as sodium hyaluronate, is used in many human and veterinary supplements as it has many important benefits. It is a naturally occurring compound found in many tissues in humans and animals. Hyaluronate is found in Hemp and Hips by Veterinary Naturals. Below is a list of the top five benefits of hyaluronate.
1. Acts as a lubricant to tissues
- Normal joint fluid should be sticky to decrease friction and resistance
- Hyaluronate is one of the most important components to rebuild normal joint fluid
2. Allows important nutrients to remain in the cells lining joints
- Provides low friction between joints and bones
- Hyaluronate decreases the likelihood of damage to joints to ease inflammation and pain
3. Provides mechanical support to joints
- Allows joints to move properly between bones
- Hyaluronate allows healthy cartilage to line the joint which acts as a shock absorber
4. Important in managing arthritis
- Helps in both the degenerative and auto-immune forms of arthritis
- Helpful to treat and prevent arthritis secondary to common orthopedic diseases in dogs that affect the joints of the elbow, knee, wrist, hip, shoulder and spine
5. Hyaluronate helps to decrease pain
- The main cause of pain in dogs with orthopedic diseases is inflammation and hyaluronate acts as an anti-inflammatory
- This can allow dogs to decrease the amount or stop taking prescription medications such as:
- Anti-inflammatories which can have side effects on the liver, kidney or gastrointestinal tract and require bloodwork monitoring
- Pain medications can cause sedation and constipation
- Beale, Brian. “Current Strategies for Managing the Arthritic Dog and Cat”. Wild West Veterinary Conference. Veterinary Information Network, 2016.
- “Hyaluronate Sodium/Sodium Hyaluronate/Hyaluronan.” Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, by Donald C. Plumb, PharmaVet Inc., 2015.
- Tamer, Mahmoud. “Hyaluronan and Synovial Joint: Function, Distribution, and Healing.” Interdisciplinary Toxicology, vol. 6, no. 3, Sept. 2013, pp. 111–118.
You can buy our vet prescribed supplements here: